I’m officially re-obsessed with cupcakes. So forgive me for a girly food related post. I’m just so happy with how Sherri‘s birthday treats turned out and wanted to share. =)
The frosting: homemade of course! (Homemade frosting covers a multitude of cake shortcuts.) Here’s the recipe if you want to give it a try:
Chocolate Butter Frosting
– 1/3 cup butter
– 4 cups powdered sugar
– 1/2 cup cocoa powder
– 1/4 cup milk
– 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1) Beat the butter until fluffy. (I usually take it out of the refrigerator while the cupcakes are baking to get it soft. In Florida summer, this doesn’t take very long)
2) Slowly work in 2 cups powdered sugar + 1/2 cup cocoa powder until you get this nice sandy crumb-like stuff. Beware the impending Airborne Cocoa Event that will float out of the bowl. Messes are normal.
3) Blend in milk and vanilla until it’s dark and creamy.
4) Continue beating in the rest of the powdered sugar. Add some more milk if it gets too thick; more sugar if it gets too thin.
5) Spread and/or pipe all over your cake-from-a-box. Impress your family and friends with mad cupcake skills. <3
That’s it! So simple there’s no excuse to use the canned stuff. It works really well for spreading or decorating, and it sets beautifully without refrigeration. They even endured a 3 hour road trip without getting squishy. (The mini cupcakes have canned frosting on top and they…. didn’t fare so well on the ride back. They kind of melted.)
A sweet close to a rather eventful three-day weekend. Only bummer is my car didn’t get her new battery today. Turns out the necessary computer at Honda crashed, and they can’t install until it’s fixed. Boo.
But it’s all good, for tomorrow… Imogen Heap at House of Blues!