In less than 24 hours…
- Noticed while driving home Tuesday night that my Check Engine and IMA lights were on. Remembered every “omg I know a guy who knows a girl who has this third cousin who had to pay 10,000 bucks to get her hybrid battery replaced so hybrids are crap!” story that I heard after buying the car. Freaked out.
- Nice person pulls up alongside me and honks. Points to my wheel and mouths “You have a flat tire.” Rejoiced inside, hoping my car was confused and only thought the IMA was broken.
- Pulled over in Jo-Ann parking lot and called Parental Rescue Unit. (Dads are awesome.) Contemplated how close I was to Twistee Treat as I waited for rescue. (Aside: I had no idea there were so many of these in Florida.)
- Dad changed tire and made it look super easy. Marveled at how tiny and fragile a donut tire looks. Other than menacing huge trucks tailgating, a successful (yet slow) trip home.
- Rise bright and early Wednesday morning to go get new tires. Honda people check the IMA light issue first and discover all that makes a hybrid awesome is dying. Remembered horror stories again and wondered how long it would take to replenish life savings after replacing this thing.
- After an hour making phone calls, the wonderful Honda people share the good news… that it’ll only cost $2500. Compared to the original quote of $5000, this is awesome. Oh yeah, still need tires.
- Tires replaced. Appointment for IMA replacement made. Rejoiced over new tires, less-expensive-than-I-thought IMA on the way, and the fact that I no longer have to sit in a waiting room reading creepy Flannery O’Connor stories and can finally go eat lunch and have a normal day.
- Backed into a parked car. In the Honda parking lot. Epic. Fail.